While most national agendas have focused on making VET (Vocational Education and Training) more inclusive to help reduce early leaving and promote further learning among those at risk,less attention has been paid to promoting VET excellence through creativity, innovation and entrepreneurship. In addition the OECD on 2010 stresses the fact that “high quality education and training systems…are crucial for Europe’s success and for enhancing employability” and that beside the technical skills it is fundamental to “develop soft skills, such as communication, ICT, teamwork, problem-solving and the ability to learn, that are ever more critical in changing market environments”.
In 2016 CEDEFOP identifieswork-based learning as the way to meet the challenges of the fourth industrial revolution and the Strategic Plan 2016-2017 of EQUAVET underlines, in the same perspective, that mobility for learners should be gradually expanded with a view to making periods of learning abroad the rule rather than the exception.
The project main target groups are VET learners of the upper-secondary level ISCED 3/4 (15-19 years), VET institution and school, companies and social partners
Although work-based learning clearly offers an advantage, it is still not a widespread practise in Europe. In the countries represented in the project WBL is not a tradition (Hu, Sp It and Slo) but have been recently object of National Reforms. So there is a common need to develop it, making individual training path more appropriate to the actual need of the economic field of interest and to certify it.
- improve the quality of the collaboration among VET institutions (schools), employers (companies and their representatives) and learners, in order to develop a strict connection focused on results and a permanent dialogue;
- improve employability of VET learners combining WBL and training experiences abroad which are still very limited in EU, so curricular preparation of WBL phase of VET training institution has to the be taken to further step of excellence through the support of smart and assessed training solutions and contents;
- fill the gap of knowledge, hard and soft skills that don’t allow VET learner to get proper access to the job market.
BEST BY DOING answers to all those requests developing a new experience in the WBL based on contents’ excellence, on mobility and on a new dimension in the relationship among students, schools and companies. Furthermore, its objectives are in line with the following Riga conclusions in the field of VET for the period 2015-2020:
- Promoting work-based learning in all its forms, with special attention to apprenticeships;
- Enhancing access to VET and qualifications for all through more flexible and permeable systems.
Considering that, in line with the “Education and Training 2020” Strategy, BEST BY DOING objectives are:
- Effectively prepare European VET learners to work-based mobility for increasing their employability in the actual and future welness industry through an open source online Platform that will host various categories of contents for the maximization of the efficacy of WB training abroad by supporting learners in reaching the hosting company with all necessary background information and skills that the company itself and the school jointly decide to deliver;
- Take the existent relationship between VET schools and companies of collaborations on WBL to the next level of cooperation, in order to reach the goal of developing together the CVs of tomorrow based on real needs. Project’s outputs will allow to interconnect all stakeholder and let them share any type of innovative contents with the innovative teaching approach proposed;
- Raise awareness about the importance of VET mobility on stakeholders for the development of better and more adequate VET learners professional CVs;
- Strengthening the cooperation between the consortium in order to test and implement a tool that will perform non-formal education through innovative ICT based tools, with the aim to enhance mobility of European VET learners, and in more wide spectrum, of workers. The project will support synergies between different actors with a wide dissemination and exploitation capacity;
- Ensure validation of non-formal learning in wellness tourism sector, through smart certification of the training performed.